The Jag Wire

The Battle After the War

Brisa Escareno, Staff Writer

Veterans are those men and women who have fought for our nation. They are some of the bravest people among us. They have protected us for years while on duty, so why can we not do the same for them?

These veterans are living on the streets after coming home from the most dangerous wars. They risked their lives, and technically, still are due to the fact that people do not keep them safe or offer some kind of help to get them off the streets.

President Obama announced a “reverse bootcamp” for veterans in attempt to overhaul the transition assistance program, which provides service members with information about benefits and career workshops, but this might not be enough. According to Phil Stewart of Reuters, they are still not getting all the attention they need. These veterans fought in war risking their own safety for ours with proper clothing and gear that would protect them.

Now, back home, they are still fighting, but now for their own lives while they live on the streets. The circumstances they live in now might be one of the worst of their lives. More than 10% of unsheltered veterans reside in each state in the U.S., according to the Point-in-Time (PIT).

Even though that is the reality for some veterans out there, some support is still being demonstrated. Veterans from this generation have been helped by the “Sea of Goodwill” as the Joint Chiefs of Staff Michael Mullen labeled it, it is a way to welcome veterans and thank them.

November 11, 2015, this past Veterans Day, Walmart launched a campaign called Greenlight A Vet where, they encouraged citizens to change the light on their front porch, home, or office to green and let it shine to show appreciation and support for veterans.

Greenlight A Vet is a demonstration of appreciation and support for veterans who are now back home. All we have to do is change one light bulb.

The color green has an important meaning. It was chosen for this specific campaign because green is the color of hope, renewal and well-being.

“Greenlight” was supported by about 3,426,506 Americans who decided to change a light to show support.

These appreciative and supportive citizens decided to be one of the millions of people to shine a light on veterans, recognizing how hard and long these veterans have fought for the of our benefit. Buy a green lightbulb to illuminate your front porch and shine a light on our veteran heroes.