Christmas on Euclid

Christmas+on+Euclid

Euclid Avenue Nativity Scene

The Nativity scene on Euclid Avenue has been displayed every December for over fifty years, beginning in 1959. Euclid Avenue has been augmented with more Bible scenes over the years.

Originally there were only two scenes and they were designed by Rudolph Vargas, a local artist famous for his religious sculptures.  The Ontario Kiwanis Club helped pay for construction of the first scene in October of 1959 and the Soroptimist Club helped pay for the second of the scenes.

The first scene depicted Nativity and cost $1500; the second scene depicted Shepherds Adoration and cost $1,340.50.

By 1976, Euclid Avenue was home to 12 creches during the holiday season.

The scenes underwent restoration in June of 2014 and are maintained through funds collected from sales at the Kiwanis Club sponsored annual “Christmas on Euclid”  event.

The scenes on Euclid remain a long standing tradition in our beautiful city’s history.

DSCN0523 DSCN0524