The Jag Wire

San Bernardino Shooting

Duby Jimenez, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, December 2nd, 2015, Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik went on a shooting at a services center in San Bernardino, leaving 14 people dead and 21 injured (USA Today). While the motive behind the shooting is still unclear, authorities have suggested that the attack was part of a terroristic plan (CNN).
Prior to the attack, it was reported by members of the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino that Farook had suddenly left angered from a holiday celebration for the department of Public Health, and returned with his wife armed with military grade weaponry. Later the same day, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan, reported that Farook and Malik were killed in a shootout with the police (USA Today).
While authorities have suggested that the attack may have been a direct order from ISIS, it has yet to be confirmed. In addition, it has been reported that Malik pledged the allegiance over a Facebook post to one of the ISIS leaders, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (CNN). However, since the profile was an alleged fake profile, this declaration can not be confirmed (Odyssey).
According to a law enforcement official, “This is looking more and more like self- radicalization.” When asked if the couple were radicalized, the relatives of Farook and Malik claimed that they thought the couple was very conservative and that they had no idea the couple held radical views.
While the investigation has been primarily focused on Farook and Malik, investigators are now focusing on Farook’s neighbor, Enrique Marquez, who provided the couple with rifles used in the attack (Washington Post). According to Marquez, Farook wanted him to buy the weapons because he feared he would not pass a background check if he acquired weapons (LA Times).
In addition, authorities have discussed that Farook and Marquez had previously planned an attack around 2012, but canceled their plans after four men were arrested in Riverside, California, in a separate attack (Washington Post). However, agents are still trying to determine whether Farook and Marquez actually planned an attack.
While the motive still remains unclear, authorities continue to investigate local and in other parts of the world such as the Middle East, where the couple was claimed to have “overseas, communications and associations.”