It Is Time to Sleep

Duby Jimenez, Staff Writer

As the end of the school year approaches, many students are only getting a few hours of sleep as they prepare for AP exams or simply work to attain the grades they desire. However, many students can the importance of sleep and without realizing it, they might be suffering from sleep deprivation, which can lead to serious consequences.

According to Harvard Medical School, studies show that sleeping less than five hours a night increases the risk of death from all causes by about 15 percent.

Furthermore, a lack of sleep can negatively impact both short-term and long-term memory by affecting your decision-making process and your ability to concentrate. Overall cognitive function is weakened, and as a result, the individual is more likely to suffer from short temper and mood swings.

According to Mayo Clinic, long-term sleep deprivation raises the risk of developing chronic illnesses like diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. In addition, according to Healthline it is more likely that your body will take longer to recover from an illness since your immune system will lack the ability to build up its forces.

Sleep researchers at the University of Harvard, have examined the role of sleep in learning and memory formation in two ways. The first approach looks at the different stages of sleep in response to learning a variety of tasks. The second approach focus directly on how sleep affects learning.

From these examinations, researchers can conclude that an individual can not learn efficiently if they are not receiving plenty of sleep, and sleep itself has a role in the consolidation of memory, which is essential for retaining new information.