Bob Beck baseball field dedication

On March 30, 2016, the Bob Beck Baseball diamond was rededicated.

The ceremony began with a touching speech from superintendent Mat Holton, who reminisced on his years as a principal at Rancho Cucamonga High School; he dreaded the days his baseball team would have to face Beck’s Jaguars.

At one point, Holton asked the audience if anyone attending the ceremony was a former student of coach Beck. It was a very powerful moment as approximately twenty men,who came to support their former coach, raised their hands.

Principal Eduardo Zaldivar also offered a touching speech.

Zaldivar spoke of coach Beck and the impact he has left on Ontario High School. He expressed his gratitude to coach Beck for his years of service. In his closing, Mr. Zaldivar turned to the varsity baseball team and told them that this ceremony “… is one you remember forever.”

During the ceremony, Beck spoke reflecting on his tenure as a teacher and as a coach at Ontario High School. He highlighted the accomplishments of many of whom were in attendance.

Beck concluded the ceremony by throwing out the first pitch. He joined Mike Sweeney, former Kansas City Royals player, in giving a pre-game speech to the Ontario and Colony teams that were about to play.

Former Jaguar, Mike Sweeney, attended the ceremony and he had kind words for his former coach saying, “[Beck] is the reason we believed that something good could come out of Ontario, not only Ontario [City] but Ontario High School,” said the former MLB player.

Sweeny continued to say that Beck “taught [his players] a lot more than just baseball.” beck had taught them about “life and being good, godly men.”

“ This school was blessed by his presence for 37 years.” Sweeney is perhaps Beck’s most accomplished player ever. He helped the Jaguars go 26-0 and become the CIF-Southern Section Div. 3-A Baseball champions in 1991 and would ultimately go on to lead a 16 year career in the MLB playing for the Kansas City Royals, where he was named an all-star 5 times.