Across the the street from the Metro PCS store on fourth street, sits a shabby old baseball field. It may not look like much, but that ball park has a lengthy history.
The ballpark was built in 1935 as part of the Works Progress Association, a New Deal program designed to create jobs and help lift America out of the Great Depression.
On March 14 1937, the first official baseball game played at the park was between the Los Angeles Angels, an eventual Major League team, and our city’s very own Ontario Merchants.
Professional teams from all over the country would hold exhibition games and practices at the ballparks; most notably, teams such as Chicago Cubs, White Sox, and Pittsburgh Pirates played at the ballpark during their spring training in Southern California.
After World War II, local baseball teams and organizations used the park: The Colt League, American Legion, American Baseball Congress, Minor League Baseball, and Little League Baseball.
In addition, the ballpark has been used as a setting for several movies and television specials including the 1992 movie, “A League of Their Own” and the 1948 movie, “Babe Ruth Story”.