The student news site of Ontario High School

The Jag Wire

Procrastination and the multitasking myth

Moises Flores & Xitlally Soto, Staff writers

Procrastination

Procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something.  It happens to be very common in our generation, but have you ever thought of the psychological view on it.

According to an article on the website Psychology today, “Procrastination in large part reflect our perennial struggle with self-control as well as our inability to accurately predict how we will feel tomorrow, or the next day.”  

Procrastination can be genetically inflicted. It is a habit that usually runs through the family coming from ancestors in the past. A very common aspect of procrastination is having a controlling or strict family figure that causes you to not have a flexible schedule and get things done on time.

Thoughts such as, “I’ll just do it tomorrow” or “this isn’t that important” are preventing us to get our actual work completed in a great amount of time.

Another reason or symptom of procrastination is anxiety, and our lack of self-confidence can trigger it easily by being afraid to do something in the moment while not being sure of it. Although there are worries like these, there is always a place for improvement.

It takes a lot of psychic work but it can eventually be healed by cognitive behavioral therapy. According to another article on the government website “Psychology Today”, attending counseling and practicing exercises to stay organized will improve the bad habit.

The next time you think about procrastinating on something don’t think…. just do! Imagine all the time you will be saving in the long run.

Multitasking  The Myth

People think they can  read a book and watch tv. Some may even do homework with their phones out, always checking it every time it rings. Well we don’t have that much mental power. We can get things done, but not all at once.

We aren’t as capable as we believe. Scientists have shown that we are just not good at doing several things at once.

Technology allows  people to perform  more tasks at the same time. While the  myth that people can  multitask has become more popular, researchers say it’s still a myth and they have the data to prove it.

Take a diner cook for example.  A cook at a diner is constantly keeping track of orders, while  cracking eggs and  flipping pancakes. On a busy day people can order anything . A cook can be cooking breakfast while someone else wants lunch. Things can get pretty hectic. You could forget one order maybe even a drink. Worst case, a chef could burn the food or even set a stove on fire.

The University of Weissman  is using MRI scanners to photograph test subjects’ brains as they take on different tasks.According to their research, The brain cannot do multiple tasks that require high level of brain function all at once. While things like pumping blood through your body or breathing aren’t considered multitasking, any skill that you choose to complete can be impacted it is  mainly  task you think about.

The truth is people can not multitask