The student news site of Ontario High School

The Jag Wire

Venezuela: Five years too long

Adilene Torres, Staff writer

For the past five years, Venezuela has been in a state of chaos due to the fall of oil prices, corruption and poor governance. As food and vaccine supplies decrease, people have become agitated. As a way to express their irritation the people have begun protesting because families around the country are running out of ways to keep their children well fed and healthy.

Protests derive from the anger and frustration of the Venezuelan people who are against President Nicolas Maduro who has claimed the protests are an act of terrorism.

At least 36 people have been killed, more than 437 have been injured, and hundreds have been arrested since the revolt began. As food and vaccine supplies decrease, people have become agitated.

“Lately there’s been a lot of protests near my house and it all seems like a war zone. I’ve seen police enter the homes of my neighborhood to take away the people who were in the protest.” says, Oriana Parra, a Venezuelan citizen. “In other cities, in the streets, there’s people asking for money or are looking for food in the trash cans. The streets are full of protests, police abusing the citizens, bombs, bullets being shot, everything that you can imagine.”

During the era of former president Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan economy boosted. His ideology for the Bolivian Revolution included nationalism, centralized economy, and a strong military. Later on, this became known as Chavismo. After his death in March 5th, 2013, Nicolas Maduro was elected and had promised to continue Chavez’s ideas, but failed and continues to fail.

Dealing with daily protests, Maduro announced that the opposition was trying to overthrow his elected government and chose to announce the creation of “La Asamblea Naciónal Constituyente” [Constituent Assembly]. He claimed that a new constitution will promote peace in Venezuela by “neutralizing” the opposition.

Gloria Cuotto, a Venezuelan that moved to Texas at the age of fifteen, recalls the early stages of the chaos.

“I guess you can say I managed to get away from the destruction,” says Cuotto.

Cuotto maintains connections to her family from Venezuela adding, “My dad lives there still so I kind of know how it would’ve been for me. He tells me it’s a hard life. Some days he eats only one meal for the whole day and every time is harder to get paid where he works. People are suffering.”

Now with chaos increasing, there’s no answer or prediction for what’s next for Venezuela, but one thing is for sure, the Venezuelan people won’t stop fighting for their rights.