The student news site of Ontario High School

The Jag Wire

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Arianna Martinez, Staff Writer

This fall, the OHS drama department is putting on the production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. This is a wonderfully witty comedy written by Shakespeare, where four plots are intertwined. The play begins with speak of the wedding of Theseus and Hippolyta in the forest. Four lovers are drawn into the story and all join together in the forest, all angry with each other in jealousy.

Peter Quince and his actors decide to perform the play of Pyramus and Thisbe for the wedding. Which will not go as planned on performance day.

All the while, in Fairyland, the fairy king and and queen (Oberon and Titania) are in a disagreement. For that, he calls upon Puck to drop the juice of a flower from a field Cupid had shot his bow into in Titania’s eyes; So she’ll be under a love spell. Which Oberon plans for it to be with a Donkey or something else horrendous. Oberon sees Demetrius and Helena, and sends Puck to make Demetrius fall in love with Helena. By his mistake he sends Lysander into loving Helena, and then attempts to send Demitrius into loving her. Both men are then in love with Helena. Puck finds the humans rehearsing for the play for the king and queen, which he calls mechanicals, and gives Bottom the head of a donkey, quite ironically.

This twisting and turning tale is sure to prove itself to the viewers. The drama department would like to share their personal experience in drama and how we came to pick this play.

Ms. Larson was interviewed, to speak on behalf of the drama department. The idea for the choice of play being A Midsummer Night’s Dream came to be when the rights for The Crucible were denied due to the fact that another theater in the area was putting on the production already.

Her thoughts on more viewers for OHS productions were that the audience is growing already by improvement on shows, as well as advertising by word of mouth. Though, she works hard for the love of drama, not just quantity of viewers. She said specifically, “I will do my job for 5 people.”

As for her words to entice people to watch the productions; this is what she said. “I would really encourage people to open their mind to new possibilities. I think that live theater affords the chance for someone to look into the life of someone so completely unlike them, and it helps us just as humanity to be able to connect with one another on a deeper level. Which is really important, especially in these more difficult times where people are kind of polarized for us to be able to come together and be apart of something new, and keep our minds open. I would also say that..I’m a pretty good director, and we have some fabulous actors in this program right now. So give us a chance. Come on down, and support your friends in doing what they love. When you support them, they can support you, and the circle goes on and on.”

This year sounds promising for drama with the audience growing. The productions improving in quality as well. Ms. Larson sounds like a wonderfully dedicated woman and director. She and the rest of OHS Drama hope you’ll come and support A Midsummer Night’s Dream.