The Jag Wire

Get shreddy, you won’t Brie-leive this!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Get shreddy, you won’t Brie-leive this!

Alex Gerardo, Staff Writer

Cheese affects people in many ways, from cheesy romantic comedies, cheesy dad jokes, to a delicious cheesy topping on  nachos. But what can the consumption of cheese really do to human bodies?

In What the Dairy Industry Doesn’t Want You to Know, a speech given by Neal Barnard MD, cheese is found to be one of the top foods that people would reportedly “go crazy” without.

However, cheese is not necessarily the healthiest food option. Because it is a dairy, it is filled with fat, which equates to higher calories. In fact, cheese is just solidified milk, which is why it is so much more fattening and greasy. The more a person consumes cheese, the more fat and calories they consume, therefore resulting in weight gain, a common epidemic in modern day America.

Dairy companies in fact study people’s’ behaviour and target the people with an insatiable desire for the cheese. This would be the type of people who snack on cheese incessantly, those who have no problem opening their fridge and taking a huge bite.

According to Nutrition and the Brain, an encyclopedia on psychoactive drugs put together by Edward Edelson, the increase of fatty and carb loaded food could be linked and/or the cause of behavior and mental issues in people.

“One interesting aspect… is that the tendency for patients to eat too much carbohydrate is regarded by some neuroscientists as a form of self-treatment for depression” (Nutrition and the Brain).

Furthermore, “..a carbohydrate-rich, protein-poor meal increased the synthesis and activity of serotonin in the brain.”

According to Medical News Today, serotonin serves as a neurotransmitter that is located in the digestive tract. A deficiency in serotonin is linked to causes of depression because of the ability to affect brain behaviors, such as mood, appetite and social behavior. This explains why people who suffer depression tend to turn to overeating.

When a person “consumes large amounts of carbohydrates, it may be an unconscious effort at self medication.”

No matter how much you crave the gooey goodness of a slice of swiss, you might not want to miss your chance at your slice of life, so please, eat cheese in moderation.