The Jag Wire

The L.A. County Museum of Art Review

Arianna Martinez, Staff Writer

In L.A. there are plenty of art museums to visit. A famous choice is the L.A. County Museum of Art, or LACMA for short. LACMA was established in 1961 as a separate institution, and not combined with science and history.

Since 1965 the museum has collected over 135,000 works of art to represent the diversity of L.A. itself.

It has become the largest museum in the western United States, and is home to Chris Burden’s famous Urban Light. I went for myself to see why the people are drawn to it so much, and this is what I discovered.

The art inside LACMA exemplifies minimalist beauty by the added dimension to each piece. Whether it be placement, lighting, texture, or even sound, every artist demonstrates their own spirit through their work. All the artwork evokes feelings and visions within the mind of the audience to create something new in an individual’s own perception.

Take Mark Rothko’s White Center for an example. The painting consists of two red lines, and a white stripe down the middle. It seems simple, but the painting gives off a sense of brightness and warmth when I looked at it.

Some of the art is even interactive. Such as Jesús Rafael Soto’s Penetrable, which is long yellow ropes hanging that you can walk through.

Aside from the permanent art in this museum, many exhibits constantly change. At the moment, there is an exhibit on ballet and opera costumes designed by Marc Chagall.

In the past, the rain room was once a part of  LACMA as well. Ancient sculptures have been restored and placed in an exhibit called Ancient Bodies.

As a whole, LACMA is an amazing museum with beautiful art and glorious ever changing exhibits.

LACMA is open on all days except Wednesdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays the hours are from 11 am–5 pm. On Fridays they stay open an hour later though. As for Saturdays and Sundays, they open an hour earlier.