Boxers in Our Backyard

Hillary Nguyen, Staff Writer

Little Red, Indian Red, Alberto and Greg Puente are all retired boxers that live right in our backyard.

Ray Mendoza, a trainer and organizer of the event Latino Boxing’s California Legacy, introduced the people of Ontario to Gene Aguilera. Aguilera is an author that saw the boxers of Ontario fight. Aguilera wrote two books, Mexican American Boxing in Los Angeles and Latino Boxing in Southern California, which speak on the topic of California boxing and the boxers of California. Not only does Aguilera speak about the history of the fighters he also mentions the importance of boxing.  

Danny Lopez, the featherweight world champion, known as Little Red, started his professional career in 1971 on May 27th. Little Red defeated Stevie Flajole, which was his first win of his 21 win streak. He won each fight by knocking out his opponent and his 21 wins was one of the longest knockout win streaks in boxing history. Danny Lopez is now retired; however, his knockout record is impeccable, standing at approximately 81 percent accuracy.  

Danny’s brother, Ernie, known as Indian Red was a boxer that fought twice to win the title as the welterweight boxing champion. Ernie’s first fight for the welterweight championship title occured in 1970. Ernie boxed against José Nápoles and lost, but it would not be the last time Ernie would compete against José. In 1974 it was once again José and Ernie battling for the title. Ernie once again lost; however, he continued his career until retirement.

The World Boxing bantamweight champion of the world, Albert Davila had a career spanning from the 1970s to the 1980s in the bantamweight division. Davila held the title as the World Boxing bantamweight champion from 1983 to 1984.

Greg Puente a retired boxer that is getting back into the game. Puente wanted to demonstrate that men even at the age of 51 can still box. Puente also wants to tell his story. He was bullied at a young age and that caused Puente to go into boxing to prove those students wrong.  

These men set high standards for the new generation of boxers. Little Red, Indian Red, Alberto, and Greg Puente will live on in the history of boxing for forever. Boxing continues to be an important part of the community and provides opportunities to those who participate. Sean Ingle, a senior sports writer for The Guardian says, “Boxing may well have its cost – but our society owes it a debt.” Sean Ingle believes boxing can improve a variety of things for example, improvement in health, education, community cohesion and to lower crime. He also points out an Olympic flyweight champion, Nicola Adams has said before that while there are sports that can make a difference, boxing was one of the top sports in which engaged a variety of people, people who aren’t as active in a community.

Also as the boxers fight results show that people around you can grow to do big things, even if boxing is not for becoming known, boxing can just be something fun to do.