CPR and First Aid Classes

Celia Ramirez-Hernandez, Staff Writer

The Ontario Fire Department, located on Cherry Avenue, offers online classes open to the public to help further their knowledge on the basics of CPR and First Aid. The Ontario Fire Department hopes to reach out to as many people as possible in order to create a safer environment and save as many lives as possible.

“As an attendee, I think it’s important to have these opportunities because they teach us how to act in a situation where there is an accident,” Amanda Robles says.

According to the Ontario Fire Department website, “Knowing CPR and First Aid skills empowers you to help someone in need.”

CPR and First Aid skills are something important that can help save lives. The fire department offers these classes for sixty-five dollars.  Applications for the course are available online and linked on the Ontario Fire Department website, and at the fire department itself.

Once the application has been filled out, a key code will be provided for access to the course. The code is valid for a year after its activation and the course will remain in the same section it was left in. The course on its own takes two hours to complete.

Once the student completes the class, they will take an exam. If the student cannot pass the exam on the first try, they have a second opportunity, and a minimum score of eighty-five percent is required.

The second part of the course consists of physical training  must be completed within sixty days of taking the exam. This part of the course will take about 1 and a half hours to complete. After the student completes this session, their AHA card will be processed.  The AHA (American Heart Association) is a non-profit organization that educates the communities on healthy living and how to deal with cardiac care.

Students will receive their card about two weeks after passing the course. To register, call the Fire Department Administrative Office at 909-395-2002 during office hours; Mondays through Thursdays from 7:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.