The Jag Wire

Blood Drive

Alejandro Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Donating blood is a regular process in this day and age. Donating blood is good for the community. People are donating more and more blood at Blood Drives and hospitals all over the world; 6.8 million donate blood in the US alone, according to the American Red Cross. While not every person donates, a study done by the BNL Blood Drive shows that “the #1 reason donors say they give is because they ‘want to help others’”.

To donate blood, you have to meet a few requirements. You cannot donate blood until you are 16 years old; however, you and your parent must sign a permission form if you decide to donate before your 18th birthday. It is also recommended  that you be in good health and that you eat lots of food and drink a healthy amount of water the night before the Blood Drive. A valid photo ID is needed to donate blood as well.

Blood transfusions save lives every day. 5 million people in America need a blood transfusion every day. Blood transfusions can help treat cancer, anemia, and bleeding disorders. Since blood cannot be made in a factory, it is important to donate blood for the sake of others.

According to Healthline and the World Health Organization, donating doesn’t just help heal others – it also helps the donator. Donating blood helps treat a disease known as Hemochromatosis.

Hemochromatosis is a disorder that can afflict a person with weakness and stomach pains due to excessive iron absorption from the blood. Donating can reduce the amount of iron and treat the sickness. Donating also helps maintain a healthy heart and liver by reducing iron absorption.

Donating blood is a safe and easy way to save other people’s lives, while making sure you stay healthy as well. It is important that teens donate as well as adults. Blood donations save lives every day, and by completing donations at a younger age, more blood can be collected, and more lives can be saved.