Editorial: Fraud in Education

Juan Govea, Editor

With the beginning of a new decade, as well as our society’s push for education to all groups of people, questions on the value and effectiveness of our nation’s educational systems continue to rise. In an article titled Fraud In Higher Education, published in late 2019, Walter Williams, an American Economist and Academic Commentator, described the inefficient system of education in the United States. 

In this article, Williams primarily targeted the failure of education at the high school level. In statements released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2016, studies revealed that only  30% of two-year college students could not progress past elementary arithmetic. The statistic alone expresses our educational system’s readiness to push students into a direction they are not intellectually capable of pursuing, purely for the purpose of revenue and with the help of future alumni through donations and creation of internships. Generally, public high schools spend between 10 and 20 thousand per student according to a recent study from the National Center for Educational Statistics. 

William’s main argument serves to not only highlight the current education system’s inability to teach our youth, but to show how arbitrary a diploma is in regard to the fundamental knowledge required for higher education. 

Another point brought up by Williams is the concept of “Grade Inflation”, a term created in recent years which depicts higher grades such as A’s and B’s that  are being awarded to students who do not deserve them, particularly due to lineance and overall lack of academic difficulty of courses.

In an article published expressing the thwarting of critical thinking of youth in the United States, How the American Education System Suppresses Critical Thinking, Joe David, Author and Educational Satirist, explains that due to the dilution of necessary course material such as mathematics and English along with the ignorance to indoctrinate challenging work has created a generation of highschool and college aged who are not prepared for higher education and lack necessary future life skills. 

The incompetence of our country’s future was emphasized in an article published in a 2016 news forum, “Study Finds College Students Remarkably Incompetent”, which found that a staggering 50 percent of four-year college students cannot complete everyday adult tasks such as filing taxes, applying for loans and time managment. 

Revelations depicting the true extent of our nation’s mediocrity when It comes to properly educating our nation’s future begs the harrowing question, “And these people are our Country’s Future?”